Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sewing With Kids

All three of my kids have had at least a few rounds with my sewing machine.  They have all attempted a thread and needle and I even taught them the basics of embroidery.  The bottom line is kids are interested in what you're doing, they want to learn.  Granted playing with mom in the sewing room didn't spark any talent, but they aren't foreigners to it either.  Dabbling side by side with my own mother was enough that when quilting fever struck me I wasn't intimidated to sit down at the sewing machine.  I'm still not a great seamstress, but I found a hobby I enjoy.

Ian wanted his own quilt.  He accompanied me to the fabric store (I find it odd that all three are EXCITED when I announce I'm going to the fabric store and BEG to tag along.  They want to voice their opinions on my fabric selections and meander through the other craft projects offered in the store.)  So Ian picked out his colors - red, black and orange.  Then he spotted a dark blue fabric with Chinese writing.  He.had.to.have.it.

When we got home I showed him how to measure out and cut 4" squares and then to stitch them together.  The squares were wonky and the seams wildly uneven.  He lost interest about half way through, frustrated with the unevenness of the project.  He tossed it up as a failed project and sulked off.  I ripped apart only one or two sets and then finished it up for him.  Yeah, I should have let him finish it but the despair was too great.  He was certain this was a failure, I wanted to prove him wrong.

For the backing I selected sweatshirt material someone had given me several years ago.  I didn't use any batting as the jersey fabric was sufficient.

He has finally outgrown the quilt as far as length, but it still gets pulled out for his bedding and he tries pretty hard to curl up under it.  While I may have finished the project, this is his, he made it.

4 comments:

  1. I say "Masterpiece"! Well done Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice of colors - my [then] 10 year old made her first quilt [it was a lap] it was wonky extraordinaire - but she wouldn't give it up for anything. I love it.

    Since I can't sew anymore I am considering giving my machines to the girls to have fun with. Then I will have fabric and thread and pins and etc. all over the house. Might have to keep pondering that. LOL

    Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt! Love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He will treasure it always!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete